Schools Out! Need a Little Summer Inspiration?
BHW has arrived with a load of ideas to help you and your little one have a sensory friendly summer. Here are 7 activities that will help make a hot summer day fun-tastic!
- Watch a Sensory Friendly Movie – Enjoy the cool AC while watching a movie at your preferred theater. AMC has recently partnered with Autism Speaks to bring sensory friendly movie showings. Watch blockbusters films, such as the BFG, in an autism friendly environment. To learn more about AMC’s sensory friendly showings click HERE.
- Have a Beach Day – Have some fun in the sun and take a beach day. Don’t forget to bring some pails and shovels to make a spectacular sand castle. You can even make this beach day more autism friendly by creating a beach themed sensory bin. Your little one will have a blast discovering the beach through this sensory bin. To learn more on how to make this sensory bin click HERE!
- Make Ice Cream – I scream, you scream, we all scream… for ice-cream! Have a science day and help your little one create some cooling ice-cream. From the classic strawberry to the unique peanut butter cup your child will have a blast making and creating this cool sweet treat. For instructions on how to make your own ice-cream click HERE.
- Admire Nature – Explore your background! Admire nature by building your own creative bird feeder and watch all the backyard creatures appear. Or make your own water filled day and create your own DIY sprinkler limbo followed by a spirited water balloon fight. To learn how to create your own bird feeder click HERE. To discover how to make your own DIY sprinkler limbo click HERE.
- Get your Hands Dirty – Let your little ones have some hands on fun! Make your own kinetic sand and/or edible Play-Doh and see the amazing creations that your child will build. From sand castles to amazing figures your child’s imagination will run wild. To learn more on how to create homemade kinetic sand click HERE. For instructions on how to make homemade Play-Doh click HERE.
- Arts and Crafts – Let’s get crafty! Have a fun filled day doing arts and crafts. From painting a picture with edible paint to creating unique sensory bottles your little one will have a blast! To learn how to make sensory bottles click HERE! To get the recipe to make edible paint click HERE!
- Have a Community Outing – Have your little one explore their surroundings. Explore the community for free and show your little one the different roles in society. Take a tour of your local fire station or enjoy story time at your local library. To learn more about other outings click Here!